Moderator Team
Moderator Team

2024 Boys state playoffs

Post by Crimson's Ghost »

Boys Basketball state playoffs

A

9-4 Johnsonburg (19-8) at 6-1 Bishop Carroll (15-10) Friday 7:00

9-3 Cameron County (22-5) vs. 6-2 Williamsburg (17-8) @Altoona HS Friday 6:00

6-3 Conemaugh Valley (20-5) vs. 5-1 Berlin Brothersvalley (24-2) @Pitt-Johnstown Friday 7:30

7-3 Union (15-11) vs. 5-2 Turkeyfoot Valley (19-6) @Pitt-Johnstown Friday 6:00

5-3 Southern Fulton (14-11) at 9-2 Clarion (17-9) Friday 7:00

AA

7-7 Serra Catholic (17-9) at 6-1 West Branch (23-3) Saturday 3:00

10-3 Eisenhower (20-5) vs. 6-2 Northern Cambria (17-8) @Cambria Heights HS Saturday 3:00

6-3 West Shamokin (20-6) at 10-2 Cambridge Springs (18-7) Saturday 1:00

6-4 Claysburg Kimmel (15-10) at 4-1 Muncy (20-6) Saturday 5:00

7-5 Bishop Canevin (15-11) at 5-1 Conemaugh Township (21-5) Saturday 4:00

5-2 Windber (16-9) at 7-2 Greensburg CC Saturday 2:00

AAA
7-7 Ellwood City (17-9) at 6-1 Westmont Hilltop (20-5) Saturday 3:00

6-3 Bishop Guilfoyle (23-4) at 7-2 Burrell (16-9) Saturday 1:00

4-3 Southern Columbia (18-7) at 6-2 Forest Hills (20-4) Saturday 3:00

7-5 Shady Side Academy (18-8) at 5-1 Chestnut Ridge (22-4) Saturday 4:00

AAAA
4-3 Lewisburg (8-17) at 6-1 Greater Johnstown (21-4) Friday 7:00

AAAAAA
7-3 Mt. Lebanaon (20-5) at 6-1 State College (12-12) Saturday 3:00
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Re: 2024 Boys state playoffs

I think BIshop Carroll should win its first game, but I'm not sure about Williamsburg. Conemaugh Valley has had a great season, but it's hard to think Berlin will lose in the early rounds. I think Berlin is capable of winning it all. Obviously it'll probably be Imani in the state title game, but the Saints don't have the 6'11" kid anymore, which levels the playing field. Turkeyfoot has a tough draw in Union, who is usually the best public A school in the WPIAL. And I'm guessing Southern Fulton will have a tough time.

Don't know what to make about AA. Serra got killed by GCC in the playoffs, but hung with them in the regular season. GCC is good, so if Serra can hang with them, then that's a tough draw for West Branch for a WPIAL 7 seed. I don't know much about D10, so I'm not sure what Northern Cambria and West Shamokin will be dealing with. Claysburg at 6-4 got shipped to the East bracket and has to play a 20-win D4 Champ Muncy team, probably not an easy match. Bishop Canevin is usually good, but the team had some turmoil with the coach being let go midway through the year. Township plays well at home. It won't be easy, but they might be able to hang. And yea, I'm thinking Windber will be in for a tough game at GCC. It doesn't feel like and D5/6 team is really poised for a really deep run in AA.

AAA is the exact opposite, I'd say. I think it's pretty wide open from top to bottom in the West. Deer Lakes is the best team in the WPIAL, but they don't feel like an unbeatable force the way Aliquippa is in AA or Lincoln Park in AAAA. Having said that, it really wouldn't shock me if Westmont, BG, and Forest Hills can all win a game or two. I think a Westmont/Bishop Guilfoyle in the quarterfinals is in play for sure. Even Ridge at home will have a good chance to beat Shady Side. While all these games are winnable for the local teams, they are also losable. Again, it just feels wide open in AAA, all about who makes a run.

I like Johnstown's chances against Lewisburg to win one and move to the round of 16. After that, AAAA gets really hard and it seems like maybe the most competitive division in the whole state. It would likely be WPIAL runner up Hampton in the second round. Hampton has a D1 guard going to Lehigh and they also have some size. That's a really tough second round game for Johnstown.

I can't see State College making a repeat run this year. Mount Lebanon is a good team and even though it's a home game, if State College won it'll be a decent upset.
LeeCorso
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by LeeCorso »

Where did the 6'11" kid go? I looked at their roster a few weeks back and realized he wasn't there.
Manfred
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Manfred »

Who would have EVER thought that Southern Columbia would be coming to Sidman, and on the ladies' side, that the Quips would be coming to Portage? Yeah I know it ain't football, but what if....
It ain't over until it's over.
Crimson's Ghost
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Maluk ended up at Long Island Lutheran. He’s committed to Florida State currently.
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

All from last years Imani Team, all D1 recruits:

Junior 6' 1" Dame Givner transferred out to Putnam Science in Putnam, CT. 3rd school in three years. Was ruled eligible last year. Givner was their leading scorer.

Junior 6' 8" Virgil Hall, had no high school eligibility. Imani listed him on rosters as a junior last year but he was in his fourth year of high school basketball. He was not a junior. They did the same with another player. <--Answer from Mike White.

Junior 6' 11" Alier Maluk left for Long Island Luthern. I couldn't find where he came from. I don't recall which school it was he left, but transferred in right before his freshman year to Imani

Junior 5' 10" RJ Sledge, transferred after winning state championship with Canevin freshman year. Initially ruled ineligible by WPIAL, the PIAA over ruled.

Senior 6' 0" Nate Brazil, transferred last year. Was ruled ineligible for last years post season.

Their state championship coach was also fired after last season.

Forgot to add, they're moving to 6A for next year. If you say you're going to move up that many classes next year willingly, then you shouldn't be in 1A this year.

It's a clown show. Lombardi is a clown. Sour grapes can shove it.
If only closed minds came with closed mouths
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

12HankQB wrote: March 4th, 2024, 4:42 pm All from last years Imani Team, all D1 recruits:

Junior 6' 1" Dame Givner transferred out to Putnam Science in Putnam, CT. 3rd school in three years. Was ruled eligible last year. Givner was their leading scorer.

Junior 6' 8" Virgil Hall, had no high school eligibility. Imani listed him on rosters as a junior last year but he was in his fourth year of high school basketball. He was not a junior. They did the same with another player. <--Answer from Mike White.

Junior 6' 11" Alier Maluk left for Long Island Luthern. I couldn't find where he came from. I don't recall which school it was he left, but transferred in right before his freshman year to Imani

Junior 5' 10" RJ Sledge, transferred after winning state championship with Canevin freshman year. Initially ruled ineligible by WPIAL, the PIAA over ruled.

Senior 6' 0" Nate Brazil, transferred last year. Was ruled ineligible for last years post season.

Forgot to add, they're moving to 6A for next year. If you say you're going to move up that many classes next year willingly, then you shouldn't be in 1A this year.

need to come up with new material this song and dance is getting rather old and stale
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Wrasslerfan wrote: March 4th, 2024, 7:53 pm [quote=12HankQB post_id=343573 time=<a href="tel:1709588527">1709588527</a> user_id=6474]
All from last years Imani Team, all D1 recruits:

need to come up with new material this song and dance is getting rather old and stale
[/quote]

Okay. You’re old and stale. The problem remains and is still an issue.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Wrasslerfan »

I will agree that this a loophole that needs to be fixed soon and quickly
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
12HankQB
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by 12HankQB »

Wrasslerfan wrote: March 4th, 2024, 8:23 pm I will agree that this a loophole that needs to be fixed soon and quickly
There you go. It really hammers our area hard. We live in a state that doesn’t necessarily reward those who work hard, but those that exploit the system. There’s been so many amazing local teams cut short by this and then are scrutinized for pointing it out