Hershey

Shoot the half!!!
BisonLegend68
Sophomore
Sophomore

Hershey

Post by BisonLegend68 »

Could this be the lowest and weakest group D5 has ever sent to Hershey? Take away from two ridge wrestlers, does D5 have any other chances for a state medal?

Bad feeling we might be losing a regionals qualifier soon.
Wrasslerfan
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Hershey

Post by Wrasslerfan »

BisonLegend68 wrote: March 5th, 2024, 10:16 pm Could this be the lowest and weakest group D5 has ever sent to Hershey? Take away from two ridge wrestlers, does D5 have any other chances for a state medal?

Honestly the weakest in a while for district 5, in terms of another medal I'm not too sure, if 5 loses a qualifier I wouldn't be shocked or surprised
Wrestling... What Men do during boys basketball season

Dan Gable
wrestler02
Freshman
Freshman

Post by wrestler02 »

BisonLegend68 wrote: March 5th, 2024, 10:16 pm Could this be the lowest and weakest group D5 has ever sent to Hershey? Take away from two ridge wrestlers, does D5 have any other chances for a state medal?

Why would D5 lose a qualifier????? I don't see many (or any at all) 6-6, or 7-7 moving on, do you? In fact, a very quick look at the brackets show no one past a 4 or 5 seed making it to Hershey. There is no reason to pull the 3 qualifier from us. Yes, we (ridge) underperformed, but everything is cyclical, and in next couple years our D5 3's might be on the medal stand.

I swear D5 is the most self-loathing district in PA
knowitall
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by knowitall »

D5 should no longer exist.
Observer92
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Observer92 »

wrestler02 wrote: March 6th, 2024, 8:45 am

Why would D5 lose a qualifier????? I don't see many (or any at all) 6-6, or 7-7 moving on, do you? In fact, a very quick look at the brackets show no one past a 4 or 5 seed making it to Hershey. There is no reason to pull the 3 qualifier from us. Yes, we (ridge) underperformed, but everything is cyclical, and in next couple years our D5 3's might be on the medal stand.

A very quick look also shows there was 6 wrestlers from the 6-5, 7-5 and 7-6 seeds that qualified for Hershey. District 5 got 6 wrestlers total to Hershey. So not a really good look for District 5 as a whole this year.
Revampedpanthers
Freshman
Freshman

Post by Revampedpanthers »

Wrasslerfan wrote: March 5th, 2024, 10:56 pm

Honestly the weakest in a while for district 5, in terms of another medal I'm not too sure, if 5 loses a qualifier I wouldn't be shocked or surprised
Yes it’s probably the worst d5 has been probably ever. I fully expect Rowan Holmes to place at states he got 4th last year.
I wouldn’t be surprised if d5 loses its 3rd in the next few years. The district will likely be worse next year than it was this year. Wouldn’t surprise me because if they go to two it allows a traditional 16 man bracket not the one pigtail bout per weight they have now.
Revampedpanthers
Freshman
Freshman

wrestler02 wrote: March 6th, 2024, 8:45 am

It’s become a horrible district. Which isn’t surprising as it is so small that a couple of teams being down like Bedford can make a big difference. If it wasn’t for ridge being great from 2017 till this season there would have already been calls to pull the 3rd qualifier. The good news is I think cr is going to be a little better the next couple of years and then when their recruits really start to trickle into high school they are going to be very very good. I also think if they don’t completely botch the hire again Bedford is going to at least be solid in a couple of years. NBC seems to always be solid, so if one or two other schools can produce some top level guys it might get turned around
LeeCorso
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by LeeCorso »

D7 has 44 AA schools. D6 has 27. D5 has 10. I say just combine 5 and 6 into 1 tournament. Take top 8 from both tournaments for a 16 man bracket. When D5 is good we can get 3 or even maybe 4 through in particular weights. Where we are weak we may only get 2 in. Heavyweight this year is a prime example. We had 4 that could’ve gotten in. When Hagans (not sure what happened) wasn’t able to wrestle that allowed Hale in as the 4th place D5 guy. He then beat Beach who was the runner up and was one match away from qualifying for states.

We have strong and weak weights just like everyone else and it sucks to have a 4th place kid who was a fringe state qualifier not make it but in some weights we have had 2nd place guys go 0-2 at regionals and not even be competitive.

Also a fun side note. D1/D12 do a combined district tournament in AA and only had 12 schools this year with Faith Christian winning 10/13 weights. Might be time to look at that one as well.
Revampedpanthers
Freshman
Freshman

LeeCorso wrote: March 6th, 2024, 10:54 am D7 has 44 AA schools. D6 has 27. D5 has 10. I say just combine 5 and 6 into 1 tournament. Take top 8 from both tournaments for a 16 man bracket. When D5 is good we can get 3 or even maybe 4 through in particular weights. Where we are weak we may only get 2 in. Heavyweight this year is a prime example. We had 4 that could’ve gotten in. When Hagans (not sure what happened) wasn’t able to wrestle that allowed Hale in as the 4th place D5 guy. He then beat Beach who was the runner up and was one match away from qualifying for states.

We have strong and weak weights just like everyone else and it sucks to have a 4th place kid who was a fringe state qualifier not make it but in some weights we have had 2nd place guys go 0-2 at regionals and not even be competitive.

Also a fun side note. D1/D12 do a combined district tournament in AA and only had 12 schools this year with Faith Christian winning 10/13 weights. Might be time to look at that one as well.
Honestly that’s not a bad idea only thing is it might require some sectionals before the district tournament. They could also just move Cambria county to district 5 and take the top4.