Summer workouts, what teams/coaches are doing?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
BisonBlue07
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Summer workouts, what teams/coaches are doing?

Post by BisonBlue07 »

Which coach in the area trys to prepare his players during the summer the most? I know Swaim (Bedford for the unknowing) is in the weight room every M,W,F and pushing his players 100%. Then the Qb's and receivers work on passing after the workout. Some people may think he is working the boys too hard, but I know he just wants all of his players to be the best they can be and he wants to be a winner.

What do the other programs around the area do?
"Nobody in football should be called a genius. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-Joe Theismann
Anonymous

Post by Anonymous »

Anytime after July 1 you're liable to see the Crushers in full pads and with coaches officially unofficially leading them through their paces, up between UPJ and the Metropolitan Life bldg. (Note to Crusher faithful: we have people from the FH district on the payroll at UPJ, and if they say they see your guys up there before the PIAA OFFICIAL TRAINING CAMP DAY, then it can be accepted as GOSPEL! ) You can run, but you can't hide. The White Shadow KNOWS! HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!
HOLLYWOOD
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by HOLLYWOOD »

In my opinion,

I don't believe the players nowadays understand the word (hard work) and want babied all the time instead of striving to be the best they can be at the sport of football. You need to put in the extra time like film time, workouts, sprints, longer in practice than the rest of the team to work on certain mistakes made in that certain practice! Seems like everyone has something else on their minds nowadays like girls, working, partying, etc. Get Great at the sport of football.
highschoolsportsfan
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by highschoolsportsfan »

To be great at football (or any high school sport) the kids must commit to it almost year round. Look at any great program and that is the committment they have. Ufortunately, there are not too many of those kids around.
longball5
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by longball5 »

I'm from a larger school...now I'm at a smaller school....and I still enjoy seeing the all-around athlete rather than one that can only be successful in one sport.....colleges see who the athletes are...commitment to one sport is fine if that's what you really want to do....but I would much rather see a two or three-sport athlete who gives so much more to his school and to his community....

again, just my opinion...this doesn't mean that one doesn't have to put the time into each sport to be successful...I just don't think it has to be exclusive.....
HOLLYWOOD
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by HOLLYWOOD »

I agree longball. They just need proper teaching to make it to the next level a long with hard work. One sport limits you chances to make it farther. Play them all and the coaches will find you unless it is hoops because they have all their recruiting processes in the summer time at nike camps, etc. and it is not fair to football players to get ready for August and 2-a-days!!
TheAnalyst
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by TheAnalyst »

Hollywood, I'm curious. You and your brother excelled at two sports in high school. Did you concentrate on one sport more than the other? For me, I would think basketball would take more practice. And obviously, natural, God-given athletic ability has something to do with it.
Did you work on football year round and only basketball from time to time? When did you realize which sport you had a future in and decide to concentrate on that? Or did you just focus on a sport from season to season?
Hopefully you can answer these questions without getting blasted by everyone on here.
HOLLYWOOD
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by HOLLYWOOD »

Being from a small school, I needed to play all sports. I played Football, Basketball, and Baseball. Believe it or not, it was tough to decide which sport to play in college at first and I also was going to get drafted by the Padres or Reds and opted to play football because of the interest in a ton of teams throughout the country. I had rides to many schools too many to name(Sorry) I like an athlete on my team that plays many different sports to be well-rounded because all sports are a challenge as now I am finding out playing golf all the time!!! I would reccomend playing all sports and pick on with the most interest to the athlete and his best chance to advance himself!!Hope that helps out
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

I still think track and field would have helped out more than baseball to the Nasty's athletic career....
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
ham55
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by ham55 »

only 2-a-days, hmm, must be nice!!!