Summer workouts, what teams/coaches are doing?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
longball5
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by longball5 »

more athletes??? NO

bigger, faster, more skilled??? to a point, bigger (due to natural evolution and strength training, but we had some big, strong boys in the past who got that way from working in the summers...)...more skilled? maybe a little, but I would say more talented or more athletic...again, maybe a natural evolution in coaching and ideas...

better balance of academics and sports? I don't see it being much different....

different in our society??? parents living more vicariously through their children, especially in athletics....coaches more focused on winning than just the development of the individual.....more of the general "me first" attitude that is prevalent in everything...

yes, things have changed...the question is, and always will be, does change necessarily indicated that things are better...

again, this is my perspective as a teacher and a coach....I want my student/athletes to learn success...and that takes many forms...winning is the goal, but it is not always possible....when that is the case, then success takes on a different form.....for some, anything less than a state championship is failure...for some, success is surviving athletics through high school....

we are not all the same, but we all have opportunities to maximize what we do have....
CRLionDawg
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CRLionDawg »

Explain your comment about :Parents living vicariously through their children." I often heard that statement tossed around back in PA, honestly havent heard it here in MI. What do you mean by that?

And the role of winning in HS sports. Elaborate on this issue. I have heard different philosphies on this. What is a healthy realistic approach to winning?

Things in live rarely stay the same whatever the forum you choose to look at. Every generation falls into the "good old days" syndrome. Things are as they are, we can either accept them or work hard to make change happen to create a desirable outcome.
longball5
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by longball5 »

"living vicariously".....expecting things out of children that one would not have done or been expected to do at the same age....trying to accomplish things that were missed by youthful indiscretions....

and the role of a coach is that also of an educator....when one is paid to play, then winning is the only acceptable outcome...when one plays as an amateur athlete in a youthful situation, then development is the key....winning can be a result, but it can't be the only goal...yes, it should be one of them, but not the only one....because then we get into the discussion of winning at all costs....

and yes, things change....but, change should also involve improvement...I'm not into changing just for the sake of change....

yes, I'm old-school....yes, my best coach was my little league coach who taught me how to play the game correctly....we won because we knew how to play the game, not because we were the most talented always.....yes, I believe that winning can be an attitude, not just a result.....commitment-yes....to the point of excluding all else that is important in youth-no....

and, as a coach and a teacher, I take responsiblity for my athletes and students that they learn the lessons of life and what it takes to be successful, not just how to win and how to get grades....but to actually have the skills to learn and develop...now, some listen to those answers and some don't....but I try to provide that to all....not just the elite....
once a runner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by once a runner »

One point that seems to have been missed is that in small rural schools, three sport athletes are a must. There is a limited number of good athletes in each school and every sport is fighting for those kids. One good athlete can change the fortunes of a team.

Someone mentioned how Somerset is known for having their baseball players play only baseball. How well Somerset do in football and basketball? And Somerset is a AAA school! Imagine what effect that attitude would have on AA or A schools.
CRLionDawg
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CRLionDawg »

"living vicariously".....expecting things out of children that one would not have done or been expected to do at the same age....trying to accomplish things that were missed by youthful indiscretions....

Ok, now you have defined "living vicariously" provide some examples.

And, what would be the opposite of this?
longball5
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by longball5 »

CRLionDawg...you ask a lot of questions about my philosophy...one that has been developed by my experiences....one that has evolved through years of teaching and coaching....certainly not the only perspective, but mine....I've tried to patiently explain where I am coming from...

now, can you do the same? Can you give me your coaching and teaching philosophies that you have applied over the years? It seems I'm defending my ideas, which I have no problem doing.....but I don't seem to be finding any solutions coming from your end....

as I have said many times, it's very easy to have all the answers sitting in the stands....it's a little more challenging to take responsibility for high school athletes and programs, with the goal of developing the person, not just the athlete....

and, you talk about commitment....it seems to focus on the elite athlete who may move on...what about the second or third stringer who never gets the chance to excel because natural ability and/or hard work will never be enough...do you think that individual is ALWAYS going to treasure the six days a week, year round workouts when it's all said and done??? An awful lot to ask of a teenager....

there are no answers...but there people trying to find the questions to work on the answers....are you helping to find the answers??? Or do you just ask the questions????

If you truly have done it, then you know what it takes....and to question another coach's methods is not something I care to do....I may not agree, but if that coach is putting in the time and effort, then I have to support him/her....
CoachK
Grad Assistant
Grad Assistant

Post by CoachK »

Whew!!!!! I am experiencing burn out. Maybe we can take 8-9 months off and come back in swinging. Great posts L.S.
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]"The probability that we may fail in the struggle ought not deter us from the support of a cause we believe to be just."
CRLionDawg
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CRLionDawg »

CRLionDawg...you ask a lot of questions about my philosophy...one that has been developed by my experiences....one that has evolved through years of teaching and coaching....certainly not the only perspective, but mine....I've tried to patiently explain where I am coming from...

now, can you do the same? Can you give me your coaching and teaching philosophies that you have applied over the years? It seems I'm defending my ideas, which I have no problem doing.....but I don't seem to be finding any solutions coming from your end....

### I am a parent of 4 teenagers. My purpose for asking questions is to help learn how to advise and council my children to take advantage of the opportunities available to them.

Did I confront you on any of your philosophies and ideas? I am asking for clarification on specific points.

as I have said many times, it's very easy to have all the answers sitting in the stands....it's a little more challenging to take responsibility for high school athletes and programs, with the goal of developing the person, not just the athlete....

###I agree. Over the years I have been active in bringing ideas to the decision makers in the proper forum. Not screaming insults and negativity from the stands.

and, you talk about commitment....it seems to focus on the elite athlete who may move on...what about the second or third stringer who never gets the chance to excel because natural ability and/or hard work will never be enough...do you think that individual is ALWAYS going to treasure the six days a week, year round workouts when it's all said and done??? An awful lot to ask of a teenager....

### Where did I mention only the elite athlete? My comments and suggestions have been directed at the whole program and system which would benefit all who participate not just the individual phenon.

there are no answers...but there people trying to find the questions to work on the answers....are you helping to find the answers??? Or do you just ask the questions????

Again, I have a record on this. I invested a lot of hours working to help improve the system.

If you truly have done it, then you know what it takes....and to question another coach's methods is not something I care to do....I may not agree, but if that coach is putting in the time and effort, then I have to support him/her....

You, speak with a lot of authority based on your experiences. I would hope we can continue to dig into the meat of this and perhaps find some new solutions to these problems which do exist. Who better than someone who has seen it first hand. You as an educator and a teacher and myself as a parent.

As I said, I have 4 teenagers who are in the High School. All 4 participate in 3 sports each. Collectively they have a 3.8 GPA. They are involved in extracurricular activities such as drama and scouts. All 4 date on a regular basis. 3 out of the 4 are class officers, ranging from president to secretary. How busy is to busy? I dont know. But I do know my wife and I do not have to push any of them to do what they do.

I hope this answers some of your questions regarding where I am coming from.
[/b]
longball5
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by longball5 »

then you have done an excellent job preparing your children to be successful...then that is where it starts...at home....that is the key.....teach the lessons, then allow them to make the decisions based on those lessons....same thing from my end, although I don't have as much time to teach them....and, in some ways, not as much influence (although coaches can be very influential, sometimes more than parents)...

I want a program where everyone has the opportunity to walk away from it, in the end, feeling they had a chance to be successful....and that is measured in many ways.....
CRLionDawg
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CRLionDawg »

Thank you.

But this still doesnt answer my question or address the issue(s).

Arent there some opportunities for all the people who have a role in the education/athletic system to work more efficiently together in a systematic way? I think there are.