Summer workouts, what teams/coaches are doing?

A forum partnered with WesternPaFootball.net
longball5
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by longball5 »

there are some ways, but it's very difficult, even in a small school....ultimately, each school has it's own way...each coach has his/her own way....

ideally, sure, it would start from the top and work its way down...realistically, I mourn the loss of three-sport athletes because each program sometimes thinks it's the only one that matters...

no, you won't find the answers here....I believe in what I do, as hopefully most coaches do....

as a teacher, I do not expect my students to spend ALL of their free time studying, just to get an A....I want them to improve and excel, but not at the expense of missing life's lessons and enjoyments....as a coach, I want my athletes to improve and excel, but not at the expense of missing life's lessons and enjoyments....

in other words, I don't expect the world to revolve around my class or my sport...I just want to be a part....in season, yes, I want commitment....but in the off-season, I want them to make the choices....

it's very tough to explain on here...and maybe my program will never be number one in the country, but I could practice everyday and still maybe not be even number one in the district....but again, my goal is that my students and athletes understand what is important in their lives....and will look back fondly on the experiences....

ultimately, it still takes quality athletes to have a quality program....coaches can refine...tough to make them something if they don't have it inside to begin with, in some way....
CRLionDawg
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CRLionDawg »

Why cant a schools athletic program under the leadership of the AD in coordination with each Head Varsity Coach create a fluid organization. It would start with the very bottom Kindergarten/1st grade with AYSO and TBall leagues, etc. through the developmental opportunities, camps, Gus Macker, Federation Baseball, etc. through the Middle /Jr. High Programs, and flow all the way to top levels of Varsity.

My opinion/thoughts are not to demand any more of the individuals time, but to help them get the most out of it. To spend the same numbers of hours, but have those hours more organized and directed.

This, I believe would encourage more 3 sport athletes and minimize the need to focus on one or two because of all the institutional hassles.
noname
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by noname »

The Dawg keeps on throwing this organizational idea onto the A.D. The head coaches need to coordinate with each other so it isnt so hetic on the kids. I know at one county school where the head football caoch receives a baseball schedule from the baseball coach and also receives a schedule from the head basketball coach and is updated by the wrestling coach when a team camp or clinic is scheduled as to not making the athlete decide which event to attend. It has worked well for years Now this is based on the summer schedule where all the head coaches want to be involved with there athletes. If the head coaches talk and pass on dates and information it makes things go very smoothly and does not put the kids in a " Which one do I chose situation." It really works well at the one county school.
Captain Coveman
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Captain Coveman »

Hey Noname, I stopped in the other day and just must have missed you guys. Are there any changes being made?
CRLionDawg
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CRLionDawg »

That is exactly what I am talking about noname. I have no idea what school you are referring to. But communication and some planning on the front end relieves a lot of stress on the back end.
noname
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by noname »

What kind of changes?