Bringing back the draft?

Discuss all political matters here!
Roadie
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Bringing back the draft?

Post by Roadie »

My roommate sent me an email that he received from a friend of his that is currently in Irag stating that possibly, by June of 2005 that the draft could possibly brought back into effect. In his letter, he states that any boy or girl between the ages of 18-26 could be enlisted. The letter also states that being in college is not a factor and crossing into Canada has become extremely difficult. He states that this is still in legislation but could be a possibility.

Now I can't verify any of this to be facts and truthful information but it was something that got me thinking. He is in Iraq so I do give him the credit that he's telling the truth. Imagine the repercussions if that were to happen. Personally, I don't think it will. But, who knows what will happen. Thoughts, opinions, information......??
Last edited by Roadie on September 20th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DELORIS!!!! "Jerry Seinfeld"
old school
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Re: Bringing back the draft?

Post by old school »

Honestly...IF you cannot 100% document this type of information do not post it here...I believe this is a tactic from the Kerry party to scare people into not voting for Bush.
Last edited by old school on September 20th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The old lessons (work, self-discipline, sacrifice, teamwork, fighting to achieve) aren't being taught by many people other than football coaches these days....." Paul "Bear" Bryant
Roadie
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Roadie »

What? I'm not one to put my political preferences on a message board, so that's not the case here. This is simply an email that I got and it had some interesting information. And, I said that I couldn't guarantee that the information was correct or not, just something to think about. Personally, it makes me think what if..? Thats why I wanted to post about it. There's threads about the debates and the election, might as well talk about this. Come on, like there's anything else better to do at 10:00am on a Friday.
Last edited by Roadie on September 20th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DELORIS!!!! "Jerry Seinfeld"
foghorn
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by foghorn »

Bush and Cheney are both negative about the draft, but I think a black congressman (Rangel(sp?) has some sort of bill going on mainly to protest inequities in the system that he doesn't make very clear. I saw him on TV the other day and I was completely confused by his assertions.

I think this might become a bigger issue. Something has to be done to remedy the "backdoor" draft of guardspeople, but a couple retired officers I've talked to said a military comprised of today's conscripts would be awful -- that the current volunteer military is the best-trained, most efficient in our country's history. What they suggest is that benefits, incentives, and payscales become commensurate with the public sector. Let's face it: is there any more important job being done by Americans?
Last edited by foghorn on September 20th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much."
-- John Wayne
once a runner
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by once a runner »

Bush said in the debate on the subject of the military in the next 4 years... "The military will be an all-volunteer army." If elected, I hope he holds true to that or we don't get in a situation where it becomes a necessity.
Last edited by once a runner on September 20th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShipWrecked05
Sophomore
Sophomore

Post by ShipWrecked05 »

I did hear that in the debate also. I agree, i hope that if he gets elected he holds true on NOT re-instating the draft. However, my step-brother is in the Navy and he said that 2 - 4 military units have a freeze on, which means no one out, and anyone in. He also said that this should be temporary. So as you can see there are many opinions out there, and it seems like the people in the military think that the draft may come about again, and the politicians are using the draft as a key issue.

Both candidates have good and bad qualitites. It's coming down to how well the each candidate debates.
Last edited by ShipWrecked05 on September 20th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
deliverance
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deliverance »

If Bush gets re-elected, he won't hold true to his word. He will have a draft. You wait and see.
Last edited by deliverance on September 20th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
CTtrackster
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by CTtrackster »

I would hope the draft doesnt go into effect. But if it does, and I get drafted...(the first pick of the 2006 draft goes to the Army, and the select ME..haha, not the draft I want to be in) I will fight for my country cause thats what you got to do. But i did watch the debate last night, well sorta..and i dont remember anyone saying much of anything on the draft. They touched it. I do remember hearing about a backdoor draft, what ever that is.
Last edited by CTtrackster on September 20th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argg, Pirates.

abee

[marq=left]IUP Marching Band[/marq]
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

Kerry has no credibility so he does what every other democrat does

1. Envoke "Jim Crow" basically say that republicans hate all blacks

2. Tell Grandma/Grandpa that the GOP will steal their SS check

3. Lie about the draft. NO DRAFT has been proposed nor will it.

Basically the democrats lie to scare everybody about the GOP. Do it every election.

OH forgot 4. raise taxes on the rich
Last edited by southpaw on September 20th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm your huckleberry"
Gunner18
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Gunner18 »

i think America needs a draft, not to help out the war effort, but to help out todays youth get back on track, so many kids today are being arrested or are on the beginnings of a pathetic life, send the kids to the military for 2 years and let them wake up!
Last edited by Gunner18 on September 20th, 2011, 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
STRAIGHT