Does Joe gotta go?

The name says it all!
captain dean
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by captain dean »

and the coaches make them miss field goals, miss blocks, and everything else. Thats nonsense to blame the coaches.
Buzzards have to eat, same as worms.
Derabasse
Senior
Senior

Post by Derabasse »

I agree Dean, you can't blame the coaches for that stuff. I would say more but basically everything Whiteshoes said is what I would have said. He summed things up pretty good.
"DERABASSEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!" - CPA
captain dean
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by captain dean »

Oh there are times when it is a problem with the coach. Thats when there are internal problems with the program or he's strangling people. This is not the case with penn state.
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

Sounds like to me dean that you have never coached a team. The full burden of a team's performance is squarely on the shoulders of the coaches and the head coach in particular.

Just like a general leads an army a head coach leads his team and how they perform is a reflection on his leadership ability.

Case in point, I'm not surprised at all at the Dallas Cowboys record this year because they have one of the best two or three coaches in the league. Parcells is winning with the same talent and personnel as the Cowboys had last year. They were 5-11 two years in a row and Parcells has turned them into the best team in the NFC in less than a year! They have the best record in the conference right now it remains to be seen if they can finish the season and go far into the playoffs.

My point is that the cowboys would be at the bottom without Parcells at the helm this year!

Penn State has good players don't tell me they don't. The coaches just aren't coaching them up the way they used to!
"I'm your huckleberry"
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

White Shoes where do you get your info? Rip Engle left Joe with a pretty respectable program. Joe built on that and made PSU a perennial national power in the 70's and 80's. This year's team is the worst on record and that goes back over 100 years! The foudations was built years before Joe ever showed up he just took it to a higher level.
"I'm your huckleberry"
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

Finally, in retrospect Penn State started this slide when Jerry Sandusky retired. They haven't been the same since!
"I'm your huckleberry"
BillyWhiteShoesJohnson
Senior
Senior

Post by BillyWhiteShoesJohnson »

I agree some personnel decisions have been flubbed by JoePa, but no one can argue that they have seen more football than this man. Im still blaming the players for their lack of desire 2 win. Because players that have graduated within the last 5 years come back 2 PSU and express their love for JoePa, and dissatisfaction of the current team and their record. These ppl are loyal to Joe and it shows me that he still has what it takes for major D1 programs....

When ppl hear Joe Paterno's name they automatically think Penn State football. When they hear Penn State football the 1st thing that comes to mind has 2 do w/ JoePa. I've never heard of Rip Engle until this year, granted I am somewhat of a younger fan, but I havent missed a game since I was old enough 2 remeber. I'm pretty sure that Joe is the only coach to lead PSU to a Nat'l Championship as well.
Small Feeet, Small Feeet!
foghorn
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by foghorn »

The coach certainly takes the heat, southie, but players who know in their hearts that they didn't put out physically and mentally must find it hard to live with themselves. Joe might screw up big time; he might be outdated and past his shelf life and a dozen other similar complaints, but I have no doubt he works his butt off all the time. even though he's a 1000 years old. Too many of the Nits this year obviously didn't. Too many times someone pulled up short or had a brain fart or just didn't seem to care. Coaches' fault -- sure -- but gosh, if those guys couldn't get motivated and stay motivated after Joe's pepe rally, then they're hopeless. They don't deserve a guy like Joe!!!
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much."
-- John Wayne
captain dean
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by captain dean »

Nope i've never coached a team before. Most teenagers havent. I'm sure just about every PSU fan has never known another coach. Even if the foundation was already built thats back when they were using leather helmets and cow stomachs. You arent 2nd on the list of most career wins by being dependent on assistants. I dont buy any of it. He's one of the greatest coaches ever if not the greatest. This is his worst season but they still have 3 wins. Out of 50 whatever seasons thats pretty darn good. Dang good! This whole thing is a compliment to Joe because we are just so used to having a great team. Wait a few more years and we'll see if his brain is leaving him or not.
foghorn
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by foghorn »

Well said, Captain Dean.
"Talk low, talk slow, and don't talk too much."
-- John Wayne