Donations needed for the 4th BC/Wade Grimes Memorial Scholly

Feature Articles, General Announcements, Etc.
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Donations needed for the 4th BC/Wade Grimes Memorial Scholly

Post by Coach »

This is now the 4th year where the users of BleacherCoaches and other locals will donate money that goes into a fund used for our scholarship. Several years ago, we started this scholarship fund at BC and Wade was an applicant. Days after getting his application in the mail Wade, a senior at Everett, was killed in a car accident. At that time, the scholarship was named after Wade. Wade was a standout athlete for the Warriors in football, wrestling, and baseball. He planned on going to school to major in education according to his application.

Now, we can help a senior from the area this year by offering our 4th scholarship. Past winners are Maggie Samole (Berlin), Rebecca Crooks (Central), and Matthew Shaffron (NBC). All three of these students are in college right now and doing extremely well. I do know that Ms. Crooks recently interviewed with at the University of Pittsburgh to get into their highly competitive pharmacuetical program. I'm sure we can get Ms. Samole to post how things are going for her as well as she is a member of this website and has been for a few years now.

To start us off, I received checks in the mail from Wade's parents and relatives that have us at $140 to start. As always, the goal is to get $1000 for a local senior who plans on going to post-secondary school. If you want to donate to this great cause, please send funds to me via check at the following address:

Garry Black
BleacherCoaches/Wade Grimes Scholarship
PO Box 302
Loysburg, PA 16659

Checks must be made payable to Garry Black as the bank won't accept anything else.

Students in the area will be given directions to apply around April 1st to May 1st or a little later. We will have a meeting to select the winner then after that. I am also looking for more people to help in this process. We meet at Hoss's in Bedford for a meal and voting. All applications will be passed around at this time and we'll have a vote. Past winners as well as high school grads (I prefer age 20 and up) are welcome to attend this in mid May.

Thanks for your time and thanks to all of you who make this a possibility each year.

Total donation amount as of 2/11/07: $140
Gunner18
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Gunner18 »

Coach, can I use the paypal on here to send my donation? I dont trust sending a check all the way from over here.

Also, is this going to be advertised anywhere other than bleachercoaches? Maybe something in the Shoppers Guide, It could only help the cause of the scholarship as well as promote this site.
STRAIGHT
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Re: Donations needed for the 4th BC/Wade Grimes Memorial Sch

Post by Coach »

We'll see about promoting the idea in a few places....

You can use paypal as a donation method. My email for that is [email protected]. I prefer checks for locals because of the Paypal fees...that is why I didn't list it the first time. I just hate seeing them get money because of this. In your case this makes a lot of sense though. If it works best for others do it too... Whatever we need to do to make this work I'm ok with!!!
Gunner18
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Gunner18 »

Cool, just gotta wait till payday now.
STRAIGHT
brlnsoccerchick19
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by brlnsoccerchick19 »

I'm Maggie Samole, the first winner of the BC/Wade Grimes Memorial Scholarship. I graduated from Berln Brothersvalley HS in 2004, where I played soccer and ran track for three years. Garry asked me to give an update on how college has been, so here it goes:

I'm a second-semester junior at the University of Pittsburgh at Greensburg, majoring in Communication with a related area in English Writing. I've got a GPA of 3.85 and for the past two semesters I've pulled 4.0s. I'm also a member of the women's soccer team where I'm a three year starter. I'm involved in several things on campus, including math and composition tutoring, being a staff writer for our student newspaper "The Insider," being the in-game announcer for basketball games, Vice President of UPG's Lambda Pi Eta chapter (National Communication honor society), and a member of Chi Alpha Sigma (the national student athlete honor society). I'm also completing an internship this semester with our Sports Information department. After graduating, I plan to attend IUP for graduate school to obtain a Masters Degree in Sports Management.

Winning the scholarship was a great honor to me. Though I never met Wade, from what those that did told me he was a fine young man and to earn a scholarship is truly an honor to his memory. I personally donated money to the scholarship last year, which felt great to give back to an award that did a lot for me.

**PLEASE donate to this cause. It will go to a worthy student athlete from the area to aid in his or her education!
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

PM me if you are sending anything, so I can look for it in the mail. I really hope we get some new donors this year too. $5 is $5 whether you think it would mean something or not. Do it...you'll feel good for doing it!
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

http://www.facebook.com/bleachercoaches
WALTER4
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by WALTER4 »

how long do we have to send the money in?
The Flyers are just like the Titanic. They both look good until they hit the ice

Help Control the Poor Population. Have those on wellfare spayed or neutered
Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

Anytime.... before April is preferred..

Gunner in for $50.

Total as of 2/16: $190
Make sure you Like BleacherCoaches.com on Facebook! Make it easier for us to reach you!!!!

Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

TheAnalyst in for $50 more puts us at $240!

Thank you Analyst! Those of you who have donated so far.... Thanks for helping to keep this thing going. Hopefully we get some more donations soon! They usually come in quicker than this........

The Grimes Family
Gunner
Analyst

Those are the donors so far and have us at $240!
Last edited by Coach on March 18th, 2007, 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Coach
Website Founder
Website Founder

Post by Coach »

This is just a bump to put this topic in the new stuff again. Some donations soon would be wonderful folks. We need all the help we can get to help out a local senior again this year. 1,000 is the goal, but even $500 is nothing to be ashamed about. So..... let's get some more donations!!

Thanks!