Great Pass D?

The name says it all!
Boilerman
Sophomore
Sophomore

Great Pass D?

Post by Boilerman »

This comes from the Pitt/Virginia thread.

Here is a question, how does one have great pass D statistics?

Answer: 1 of 2 ways
1. Actually have a great pass defense
2. Offense does not have to pass the ball and just builds up rushing numbers

Here is a statistic from this year that PSU led in the Big Ten:

PSU 585
ILL 573
IU 508
NW 486
MSU 456
IOWA 452
WIS 428
MINN 428
PUR 421
MICH 409
OSU 383

What is this statistic? It is the opponents rushing attempts for the season. So I guess this says one of two things, teams didn't have to pass on Penn State or teams were very scared of the Nits pass D. I'll let you decide.

I'm not sure about this Austin Scott thing running the ball 40 times. If he was ready to run the ball 40 times he would have been in there. I know Paterno has a lot of loyalty for upperclassmen, but he let Zack Mills throw for 300 and 400 yard games as a freshman. Paterno hasn't completely lost it yet.

Sure, Penn State would have a chance to beat Pitt, but if they played a lot of games with this year's teams more often than not Pitt would win and some of those games by a big margin. As bad as Pitt was on defense this year, PSU was bad on O,D, and special teams. It was a very bad team that I saw in person this year, although the talent was good, they didn't play as a team very well, and I'm not sure if that is coaching or the kids. They still have the kids to have great teams, but there are some bad signs for those who inhabit Happy Valley. They are losing games on the field because they can't do the things that have made PSU teams great in the past, run the ball and play great defense year in and year out. Also, PSU has taken some major recruiting hits over the past decade, Dan Kendra to Florida State after verbally commiting to PSU, Kevin Jones to Va.Tech, Super Rod to Pitt, and this year with two of the top ten high school quarterbacks in the entire country in the state of Pennsylvania, one is going to Michigan and one is going to Pitt. They are losing kids that they should be getting.

Again, they still have time to turn it around, but great tradition does not win you games. It may help a little with resources and recruiting, but it won't win games. The college football landscape can change over time and if you are not doing anything to go forward you will be left in the back of the pack.

For those of you who are members of the Happy Valley fan club, let's hope they turn things around.

Boiler Up!
Boiler OUT!
Dep
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Dep »

Wow, a very detailed posting. I do hope PSU turns it around. Their pass D was good because people did not need to pass, lol. Sad, but true.
IEATHAM0555
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by IEATHAM0555 »

SQ...SQUAD UP DEP!!...this kid speaks only the truth...HE IS THE TRUTH AND THE REASON...
The winner ain't always the one with the fastest car....it's the one who refuses to lose!Image
BillyWhiteShoesJohnson
Senior
Senior

Post by BillyWhiteShoesJohnson »

thats right dep u heard the man....
SQ...SQUAD UP...SIX 10s FINEST...EiGhT OnE 4s AcE...its ya boy!

who the hell knows what this is supposed to mean tho???
Small Feeet, Small Feeet!
IEATHAM0555
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by IEATHAM0555 »

SQ is a shoutout to all my friends....YOU KNOW....and 610 is the area code here and 814 is the bedford area code...that is all it means...
The winner ain't always the one with the fastest car....it's the one who refuses to lose!Image
Sports999
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Sports999 »

Austin not being ready had nothing to do with it. Joe's loyalty to his "favorites" and seniors had alot to do with it. Upton and Robinson played there because Joe NEVER plays Frosh, so learn something before you post garbage like that.
Boilerman
Sophomore
Sophomore

Garbage?

Post by Boilerman »

I just want to apologize. I guess I have been putting garbage up on this site. I really must have struck a nerve somewhere, but I was just saying Paterno has let freshman tote the rock in the past and on at least three occasions that I can think of (not counting this year) freshman (true or RS?) have led the team in rushing:

1983 DJ Dozier 1002 yards on 174 carries
1995 Curtis Enis 683 yards on 113 carries (I think this was his freshman year)
1998 Eric McCoo 822 yards on 127 carries

I know Paterno has problems with freshman, but he has done it in the past. So why wasn't Mr. Scott in there? I guess there may be a number of possibilities:

1. Paterno was playing favorites
2. Mr. Scott wasn't ready
3. Maybe the mono set him back
4. Pass blocking and learning the schemes may have been an issue (Paterno is big on that one)

I don't know, you decide.

I am not downplaying Austin Scott, the kid is an amazing talent, but maybe this just wasn't the year. How much better would the team have been if he would have been in there getting his brains beat in with an average line? Would they have made a bowl game? I'm not sure but in my opinion, I don't think so. They had a lot more problems than that. Hopefully with a year under their belt, Scott and Hunt will come out flying next year, and get Happy Valley rockin' again.

Boiler up!
Boiler OUT!
IEATHAM0555
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by IEATHAM0555 »

So what I am getting out of all these post...looking at the numbers and all..is that JoePa is not good at developing young players and he is the main problem for Penn State...am I right with the conclusions I have drawn?...SQ...SQUAD UP...SIX 10s FINEST...EiGhT OnE 4s AcE...its ya boy...ShOw AnD TeLl!
Derabasse
Senior
Senior

Post by Derabasse »

I agree that the main reason they had such good pass D numbers was because they couldn't stop the run. People didn't have to throw much but when they did the secondary did a good job. Gardner and Zemaitis are good and so is Yisreal, although Guman and Harrel can be questionable overall their secondary was good. Also I don't know what was going on with Scott, I would have definately liked to see him play more. When he played they had a threat to make a big run, but with Upton and Robinson a big run would be about ten yards. I think next year will be alot better, atleast I am hoping. It has to be better than this year atleast, I don't think Herbstreit and Corso would say they think PSU will be a top 20 team if they didn't have a chance.
"DERABASSEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!" - CPA
Sports999
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Sports999 »

113 and 127 carries is hardly what I would call "toting the rock" over the course of 12-13 games. LJ had the least amount of carries ever for a back to go over 200 and he had over 250. Sure they saw some time, and so did Austin. In McCoo's Freshman year he shared time with Omar Easy and one other back if I remember right. And Enis was a Linebacker his Freshman year at PSU until they gave him a few spot carries(the 113 you talk of), he did not emerge as the premier back at PSU until the 1996 kickoff classic(which I attended) at Giants Stadium against USC.

So the time Joe gave Austin was no different from the time he gave all of his Freshman backs. And remember, Austin missed 2 games with Mono during the season.