The name says it all!
Boilerman
Sophomore
Sophomore

Please help me

Post by Boilerman »

Sports 999,

1. I did mention mono in the last post.

2. First you say that Paterno NEVER plays frosh, and the you say that he does play frosh, but not as much as he should.

3. So you say Mr. Scott played as much as other freshman running backs, but less yardage?

I don't want to bash Scott, he is awesome and he will be a superstar, but really how much better would the team have been with him in there? Maybe Paterno saved him from taking a good beating this year, and he will be all the more ready to hit the field next year.

Who knows how they make the decisions up there, but let's hope it is more than a "teacher's kid" favortism excuse that they use in high school.

Let's end it here and this way. Please just let me know what Penn State's record is with Mr. Scott in for the whole season, his carries and yardage, their Big Ten record and the opponents they beat, and the bowl they would have attended. Now what I don't want is a quick answer, but answer with a lot of thought and detail. Make me believe what you are saying through some fact and some good assumptions. I'll be waiting for the report on my desk by tomorrow morning. Coach, you would be good at this one because you saw most of the games this year.

Please, as many people as possible, this could lead to a good discussion.

Boiler up!
Boiler OUT!
IEATHAM0555
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by IEATHAM0555 »

Boiler is just plain Gangsta!
The winner ain't always the one with the fastest car....it's the one who refuses to lose!Image
Sports999
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Sports999 »

Scott got 100 carries with a brand new O-line. Enis and McCoo ran behind lines that were filled with All-Americans, McCoo was behind guys like McKenzie and Enis was behind Hartings I believe. Anymore questions?
Sports999
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Sports999 »

Pitt finally climbs back out of the basement and they get tons of supporters, it's kinda cute I think. Don't worry, Pitt. will always have a winning record with their toughest competition coming from Louisville, UConn, WVU and Cincy. Can't wait to see Pitt. play UVA, on, when is it? Don't even know.
Boilerman
Sophomore
Sophomore

Not that easy

Post by Boilerman »

Sports 999 (are you reading all of my posts because that answer was not what I asked for?),

I'm not letting you off that easy. You have just done what I had asked you not to do and that was quick responses without thinking. A post on here does not have to be hateful comments. They can be well thought out to prove a point for discussion sake. Please just do what I asked in the last post. I will not rip up your post at all if I think that it is well thought out and based on logical thought. Sure Scott in there all the time may have added a few more wins and if you think so tell me, but give me something to back it up.

So again what I want. PSU's record with Mr. Scott in all year, his carries and rushing yards, Penn State's Big Ten record and who they would have beaten, and the bowl game that they would have played in. This is what I want but I want some thought to back it up. If that happens, nothing more on the subject from Boilerman and probably a congratulations to you 999. Maybe if you answer it from a neutral fan standpoint that might help. This is the kind of thought that can make a message board fun.

Now to your last two posts. You are absolutely right, Scott had a worse offensive line than the other guys, but that goes to prove my point, what would have been different with him in there all the time. With a bad line, a good running back may make a few more big plays, but more often than not he is going to take a beating. This is what I want to know, what do you think would be different.

O.K. now on to Pitt. If you really hate Pitt just say that you hate Pitt so that everyone knows where the post is coming from before it has to be read. It is really not that nice to mock their supports. I mean it had been a long time since Pitt had something to cheer about, but that has changed. And please don't bring football schedules into things because what can Pitt really do about their schedule. They couldn't keep Miami, Va. Tech, and BC in the Big East and there really wasn't anyone better to bring in than the teams that were brought in. Their MAC preseason schedule was made up a long time ago when they were really bad. You need confindence when you were that bad and wins bring that even if against MAC (nothing against MAC because they stepped it up this year). In future schedules, Pitt has Nebraska for a couple of years, Michigan State for a few years, Notre Dame for a few years and Clemson, so they are stepping up their schedule as the team gets better.

I mean I used to be a BIG PSU fan, and I watched the '87 Fiesta Bowl and they were the best team in the nation that year but lets look at the schedule:

Really good teams:
Miami 11-1
Alabama 10-3
BC 9-3

Other teams:
Temple 6-5
East Carolina 2-9
Rutgers 5-5-1
Cincinnati 5-6
Syracuse 5-6
West Virginia 4-7
Maryland 5-5-1
Notre Dame 5-6
Pittsburgh 5-5-1

Now they were not beating world beaters every week either, and that is how the schedule was most of the time up until they joined the Big Ten.

Please, just take some time and answer what I asked you to do before. That is all I want. You know more about this year's PSU team than I do so it should be easy to give me all of the things I asked for in the last post.

I'm just trying to get a real conversation going with real points instead of playing "my dad is better than your dad"

Anyone else can join in on this.

Boiler up!
Boiler OUT!
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

For what it's worth, and I don't follow PSU, I don't think playing A.Scott more would have made a bit of difference in their season. He would have been running behind the same line. At the very most, perhaps could have made a difference in one game and I doubt even that. Again, not a PSU fan as I've always seen JoPa as one who is hypocritical and talks out both sides of his mouth...was turned off to PSU program when I was very young so I'm certainly not an expert in this area.
southpaw
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by southpaw »

Nice post on the PSU schedule Boiler man. I am a big PSU fan but have thought for years that Joe should go. 1987 isn't the only year PSU had a cake schedule with only two tough games. I'll bet that out of Joe's 300+ victories that close to 300 are chump teams like ECU and Rutgers.
"I'm your huckleberry"
BillyWhiteShoesJohnson
Senior
Senior

Post by BillyWhiteShoesJohnson »

Yeah sure southpaw, PSU played full seasons against Bowling Green and Northeastern Witchita State. Come on how can u say that, they played Pitt and Notre Dame like every year for as long as I can remember until they joined the BIG TEN. This conference contains a few good teams that PSU beat. Michigan, Ohio State, Mich St, Purdue, Wisconsin, Northwestern(led by Heisman canidate Darnell Autry, and Damien Anderson).

The only reason Pitt was left off their schedule was becuz PSU started dominating every game (Save Rashard Casey's weak year when they lost to Pitt w/ Rutherford at WR, which was his best position in college) and it wasnt a rivalry anymore.
Small Feeet, Small Feeet!
BillyWhiteShoesJohnson
Senior
Senior

Post by BillyWhiteShoesJohnson »

And in addition, schedules are made 10+ years in advance, so teams have no idea what non-conference teams are gonna be tough or cake.

If u wanna talk bogus wins, u have 2 say Bobby Bowden. Earlier in his career he used 2 have several games every year against Div. 1-AA. At least JoePa beat 1-A squads...
Small Feeet, Small Feeet!
Boilerman
Sophomore
Sophomore

Pitt/Penn State

Post by Boilerman »

The last Pitt/Penn State series was 4 games from 97 to 2000 (If i get the scores wrong, someone help me)

Penn State dominated the first game at Happy Valley winning 34-17.

The next three games were actually competitive. Penn State won in Pittsburgh 20-13 with Kevin Thompson at the helm. The next year in Happy Valley, Pitt almost pulled off a huge upset of then #1 or #2 Penn State by tying Penn State late in fourth 17-17 with help of 316 yards passing from John Turman. However, Penn State did what a top ranked team does in the face of adversity, plow right through it and they kicked a late field goal to win it 20-17, extending their winning streak over Pitt to 7 games. Finally in 2000, Pitt with a 12-0 win at Three Rivers behind SuperRod's touchdown catch.

It would be nice to see them get it going again, but it doesn't look good.

Boiler up!
Boiler OUT!