Big East Football

The name says it all!
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Big East Football

Post by Head Roadie »

First of all, the Big East Conference wasn't that bad this year. Miami, Pitt, VaTech, and WVU are all bona fide top 25-30 programs, Syracuse was down but still competitive and BC is Bowl bound. Pitt vs Va and WVU vs Md. games should give a good "gauge" of any Big East vs ACC talk.
The future isn't so bright. Will they retain their BCS affiliation? who knows? I know that Louisville, S.Fla, and Cinci doesn't = BC, Miami, and VaTech and that WVU is chomping at the bit for an invitation elsewhere as is Pitt and Syracuse would have bolted in a second for the ACC if Virginia's governor hadn't stepped in to the battleground and successfully fought for VaTech's inclusion so it's only a matter of time (years) till the Big East is no more.

I blame this on their Commissioner, Mike Tranghese. He had absolutely no foresight. During the last conference merry-go-round....Arkansas to SEC/Tex, A&M, Baylor, TT to Big 12....which saw the Southwest Conference die, the lightbulbs should have been going off in some of the conference braintrusts heads that "who would be next" to go. The SWC was certainly more steeped in tradition than the Big East. The writing was on the wall...If the ACC hadn't gobbled them up, the Big 10 may have.

The perfect solution, in my estimation, was for Tranghese to be pro-active and protect the Big East's interests by proposing an ACC/Big East marriage in football only. Think about it. THE ATLANTIC EAST OR THE BIG EAST COAST CONFERENCE with two divisions (ACC/BE) and the coveted CHAMPIONSHIP GAME in early Dec. that everyone wants. They could have done their own thing in Basketball and the other sports but formed a two division Super Conference in football. Think of the Bowl pulling power that would have provided as well.

Instead we leave Pitt, Syracuse, and WVU "hanging" on a limb hoping that Louisville, Cinci, SFla, UConn, and Rutgers can elevate the level of their play (actually L-ville is already close) very, very soon to protect the conferences integrity, BCS spot, and maximize bowl bids (and the $$$$ that goes with those bowl bids). Also, how lucrative will the Big East be to TV now? Before you say cash flow isn't important remember that bowl bids, tickets sales, TV revenue all come back to help the programs keep up facilities, provide amneties, and ultimately impact recruiting.

If the Big 10 ever expands you will probably see Pitt and Syracuse bolt the Big East. WVU would be a prime candidate for the SEC if Vanderbilt doesn't soon "pick up the pace" in that conference. The ACC picking up Syracuse or WVU down the road is not out of the realm of possibilities either. But until that happens those three programs are now the Black Sheep of college football...big time programs sitting in a mediocre conference that rates barely above the Mt. West or C-USA if even that.

As both a Pitt and WVU fan here's hoping that some of the Big East "have nots" elevate their status quickly or we could see the backyard brawl teams headed opposite directions down the road and as when PSU went to the Big 10, you could see an end to another traditional local college FB rivalry.
Sports999
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Sports999 »

If the Big10 expands it will only be for ND. The Big10 covets ND's football right now, and it seems that at the moment ND is asking the Big10 if they can get in. A match made in heaven.

Pitt would be great to add but I don't see it happening.
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

au contraire Sports999 I think ND would be quicker to enter the Big 10 with "3" additional teams rather than being the loner for the following reason. ND covets "flexibility" in scheduling. With two 7 team divisions the Big 10 could probably get away with ND playing an "intradivisional" schedule only (6 games) and giving them flexibility to still play 5 or 6 opponents they choose aka: USC, Navy, etc. to keep their "national" schedule they like. With a 12 team Big 10 they would almost be forced to play at least 3 crossovers, thus locking them into 8 games and less flexibility. I see ND, Pitt, and either Missouri or Syracuse being added to the Big 10 to make it in effect, a Big 14!
IEATHAM0555
Assistant Coach
Assistant Coach

Post by IEATHAM0555 »

the big 10 covets ND football because of the national fan base and the national and tv radio deals they have...that mean big time MONEY!...because when you are in a conference all the money is split among the teams...and i don't understand why ND would be interested because they will be able to keep all the money they make for the tv and radio contracts they have and if they can get into a bowl they keep all the money that they get to themselves...so i am confused why they want to get in?
The winner ain't always the one with the fastest car....it's the one who refuses to lose!Image
deliverance
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by deliverance »

Yes, and the money factor is probably why I believe Notre Dame won't join the Big 10. Right now all the money goes to Notre Dame. If they join the Big 10, then some of their money is split within the conference. So, I look for them to stay independent.
Sports999
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Sports999 »

A 14 team conference would never happen because you only need 12 to get a championship game and because it would be harder to schedule at 14 team tourney. There would be 1 crossover game between the 2 divisions of the conference if that many because of OOC games. The Big10 will only let in 1 team.
Head Roadie
Moderator Team
Moderator Team

Post by Head Roadie »

You have your theory, I have mine....time will tell. Why only 1 crossover game in a 14 team superconference? Interested in why you think that's a maximum. I don't see it that way at all, it would only give teams 7 league games (which would please a ND in the Big 10 but probably not anyone else). At least 2 and maybe 3 to give league teams 8 or 9 league games. 14 would allow more flexibility to a team like ND who may want to be exempt from crossovers. With 12, as in the SEC and Big 12, they play 8 league games, 5 within their dvision and 3 crossovers making for a "neat" schedule with no flexiblity. The MAC has 14 teams and plays 6 within division and 2 crossvers (8 total).

And FYI, 14 would be an easy scheduling puzzle....I've done much harder ones myself ;-)
Sports999
Official BleacherCoach
Official BleacherCoach

Post by Sports999 »

I hope Pitt does come over but I see ND as more of a possibility right now.